Sunday, March 27, 2016

FLINT WATER CRISIS: SHAME ON YOU STATE OF MICHIGAN. WHAT A DISGRACE! WHERE IS THE URGENCY!

First, let me say that I am from Flint. It is my hometown and where I grew up and began a teaching career. I have always remained very attached to the city even though I have lived in Ypsilanti for the last twelve years. I realize that much has been written about the abominable situation in Flint, but the water crisis I believe is the worst man made disaster in United States history!

Because of some of the work I do I have seen up close and personal the kind of hell that residents of Flint are dealing with, not to mention the fact that I have family in the Flint area. How horribly sobering it is to know that the State of Michigan cares not at all for the residents of Flint. The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality certainly doesn't care. Obviously Governor Snyder doesn't care. Even the so called Environmental Protection Agency doesn't give a crap either. What a dreadful commentary on our state and our country.

Even though there has been a ton of media attention nothing has happened as far as fixing the crisis. Where is the urgency? Why are there not teams of doctors setting up mobile units in Flint reaching out to residents suffering physically and emotionally from the effects of the having ingested and bathed in poisonous water? Why are there not teams and teams of work crews and equipment digging up and replacing lead laden corrosive water lines throughout the entire city? This is the United States for crying out loud. This country has the resources! I don't see urgency. Appalling.

Jeff Brown
Editor in Chief
Purple Walrus Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment