Monday, August 15, 2016

TOWNE CENTRE PLACE SENIOR COMPLEX : MSHDA RESPONSE.

Senior and disabled residents of Towne Centre Place housing complex in Ypsilanti have been forced to struggle with a myriad of serious problems at the complex. Two days ago U.S. Rep Debbie Dingell stepped in and took matters into her hands. As I reported in two previous articles, Rep Dingell, in a press release two days ago, wrote a letter to MSHDA requesting that residents of the complex be relocated while repairs were being made to elevators that have not been working properly for six months. Sanitary problems were also mentioned as areas of trouble.

Last week I spoke to Jeff Linton who is the media representative for Forest City, the company that owns/manages the Towne Centre Place complex. We spoke on the phone Wednesday. At 9:00 am this morning I received an email from Jeff Linton stating, "As of 12:30 p.m. yesterday (Sunday), both elevators were operational." Left unanswered in Linton's brief email was the issue of unhealthy sanitary conditions that were brought up to me from a Towne Centre Place resident. U.S.Rep Dingell also mentioned sanitary conditions in her press release.

This afternoon I spoke on the phone to MSHDA media spokesperson, Katie Bach. Bach was much more forthcoming and informative than Mr. Linton in Cleveland by the way. Katie Bach told me that she was at the Towne Centre Place housing complex today, today being Monday. Bach confirmed to me that the elevators were operational and working. Bach also told me, and I'm paraphrasing, that they have not solved all the issues, but they are working with Debbie Dingell's office on the issues facing the complex, and also that they are monitoring the entire situation. By other issues it was inferred that she was talking about cleanliness and sanitary problems at the complex. Bach wants residents to know that residents have been heard and that, "They have their back."

I should also mention that prior to speaking to MSHDA media rep, Katie Bach, I put in another call to the office located at Towne Centre Place. A gentleman answered the phone. When I asked if  he could confirm Jeff Linton's email to me from Cleveland that the elevators were indeed working, he told me that he was told he could not speak to the media.

For what it's worth, I believe Katie Bach from MSHDA when she says they will closely monitor the situation and want residents to know they have been heard.

Lets hope things get better at Towne Centre Place, and quick. The residents don't deserve the serious problems they have faced over the past six months.

Stay tuned for updates.

Jeff Brown
Editor/Publisher
Purple Walrus Press
Towne Centre Place. Purple Walrus Press.


No comments:

Post a Comment