Wednesday, November 30, 2016

PICKLEBALL COURTS IN YPSI TWP? WHAT THE HECK IS PICKLEBALL!?


Pickleball courts? pickleball courts in Ypsi TWP? Six of them? Waaa? What the heck is pickleball? Listen, I like pickles as much as the next person, but I've never heard of a pickleball court until a few days ago when I read about it in mlive. I mean, yes, apparently, pickleball is a real sport: And not only that, six, yes, six new pickleball courts have been built in Ford Lake Park in Ypsilanti TWP. Holy guacamole! Look, in my hometown of Flint, if I had ever said while growing up in my old neighborhood, "Hey guys, let's play some PICKLEBALL," I would have been killed on the spot! Well, at least beaten up. AND I WOULD HAVE DESERVED IT, TOO!

Pickleball. Pickleball. Well, I just don't know if I like the sound of the darn thing.

Here's what I've learned about pickleball. Pickleball is played with a racquet. It is kind of like a combination of badminton,, tennis and ping pong, I mean table tennis. You have to hit some kind of whiffle ball type thing over a net. Apparently, its pretty big on the West Coast. Oh, that explains it! Kidding! Oh, what the hell do I know. Anyway, it was created in the 1960's as a kids backyard game. Well, actually, it does sound kind of groovy!

Who's up for some pickleball? I'm game!

Jeff Brown
Editor/Publisher
Purple Walrus Press.
The new pickleball courts of Ford Lake Park. Photo Purple Walrus Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment