Monday, October 24, 2016

SAD TO LEARN THAT ANTI WAR ACTIVIST TOM HAYDEN HAS DIED.


I woke up to the sad news that anti war activist Tom Hayden died Sunday. Tom Hayden was a major figure of inspiration for me and many, many others.

A few years ago he spoke in Ann Arbor and I wrote a piece in PWP about that up-coming local speaking engagement. I was thrilled and surprised to receive a brief message from him thanking me. He influenced an entire generation.

Tom Hayden was born in Detroit, and went the University of Michigan . He was editor of the Michigan Daily. While in Ann Arbor Hayden helped form the SDS (Students For  Democratic Society) which was a left wing anti war organization which wielded  a lot of, in my opinion, positive influence on young people in this country. He also helped draft the famous Port Huron Statement which formed a new left wing political manifesto in 1962.

Tom Hayden was a strong and positive influence on an entire generation. I, for one, will miss him.

Jeff Brown
Editor/Publisher
Purple Walrus Press.
Tom Hayden. biography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment