Wednesday, July 6, 2016

FLINT WATER ACTIVIST MELISSA MAYS ON HILLARY: YOU PROMISED FLINT: WHERE ARE YOU?

So last Monday I was honored to be able to speak at the International Women's Luncheon in Chicago. The keynote speaker was Secretary Hillary Clinton. Each of the honorees were allowed a photo op with her. I don't get star struck so I used my couple of minutes to ask questions such as "You made Flint a lot of promises, where have you been?" She asked me how things were and what Snyder was doing and I said "He's doing nothing. The water is worse, people are sick and dying, where are you?" I made statements such as "We're not just a campaign stop. We're dying and we need help. When are you coming back to help like you promised?" I don't care who you are, if you promised Flint help and got people's hopes up, you need to follow through. I think I made her uncomfortable and I doubt I'll be asked back, but we need real help. Yesterday.  

Contributed to Purple Walrus Press by Flint Water Crisis Activist Melissa Mays.

Downtown Flint, Mi. 2016. Saginaw Street. Photo by Purple Walrus Press.



No comments:

Post a Comment