Thursday, July 14, 2016

TRUE STORY FROM DETROIT PUBLIC SCHOOLS DAYS BY PWP CONTRIBUTOR PATTI SMITH.

True story from my days in DPS: one of the students went to Mississippi and Alabama on a big trip to visit family, his first time leaving Detroit! When he came back, he said that he saw a woman who looked a lot like me and so he went up and told her "hello" and said that she looked like his teacher back home.
The woman did not reply, tightened her purse strap, and quickly walked away. He did not understand this. My teaching assistant and I had to explain that not every white woman is Ms. Smith and that some people are just rude. My assistant (who is African American) also had to explain that because the student was really dark skinned, some people might take that as a threat. It was an awful conversation, but necessary.
Seriously, up until then his only experiences with white people were the white teachers. Never dreamt that I would have to teach this.

Purple Walrus Press contributor Patti Smith,

No comments:

Post a Comment