Tuesday, April 25, 2017

USS Michigan nuclear sub arrives in S. Korea and it is no picnic


According to a April, 25, 2017 press release from Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Korea Public Affairs, guided-missile submarine USS Michigan arrived in Busan on April 25, for what the press release is calling a routine visit during a scheduled deployment to the Western Pacific. Busan is South Korea's second largest city.

According to Tuesday's press release, "During the visit Sailors will experience the culture and history of the Republic of Korea, as we foster outstanding relations between the U.S. Navy, ROK (Republic of Korea) military and the local Busan community." That does sound lovely.

It just so happens that the USS Michigan has arrived in S. Korea just in the nick of time for North Korea's huuuge military parade. Oh, Fun! I say parade, but I happened to catch North Korea's "parade" on April 15th, (no, not in person!) and yikes, that was one holy mackerel freaking scary parade! Yike! Yeah, I watched the whole parade on you tube in the morning. The North Korean humongous military parade was so horrifyingly fascinating that I couldn't take my eyes off of it. It was on my birthday, too! Yep,  I spent my whole birthday morning quaking in my boots, I mean slippers, watching N. Korea's army strut around all over the place! Scary stuff! I was ready to build one of those underground 1950's style nuclear shelters in our backyard!

In other words, I don't think the United States Navy is in South Korea to experience the culture and take in the sights. I mean, this is no picnic. We are living in frightening times. I wish the USS Michigan was there for a picnic. As stated in Tuesday's U.S. Navy press release flashing across my computer screen,"USS Michigan is the second submarine of the Ohio-class of ballistic missile submarines and guided missile submarines, and the third U.S. Navy ship to bear the name." My dad served in the United States Navy proudly during the Korean War, and he's very concerned about tensions currently between the United States and North Korea...We are all concerned. Nope, this is no picnic.

Jeff Brown
editor & publisher
Purple Walrus Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment