Wednesday, August 31, 2016

WELCOME TO YPSI ALL OF YOU ALLEN ELEMENTARY STUDENTS, STAFF AND PARENTS.


So, as of now the former vacant Ypsilanti Middle School is now the temporary home to none other than Ann Arbor's Allen Elementary. Such an interesting twist. As much as I hate to admit, think about, contemplate, and acknowledge it, the truth is that after all these years there is no doubt that many, not all, but many Ann Arbor residents negatively stereotype Ypsilanti. As an Ypsilanti resident and homeowner this has always annoyed the heck out of me to say the least. But as I'm from Flint, MI I'm used dealing with the negative stereotyping and false assumptions people often make when being from an underdog town. I have lived in Ann Arbor in the past and have lived in Ypsilanti with my wife and two kids for the last 12 years. I love all of the wonderful things Ann Arbor has to offer and I love Ypsilanti. I have nothing but positive things to say about living in Ypsilanti.

Oh boy, I didn't want this article to be a rant on the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti dynamic! So anyway, Allen Elementary in Ann Arbor had a big time flood recently. Ypsilanti Community Schools offered Allen use of our old and now defunct Ypsilanti Middle School to use temporarily while they fix up Allen: A very nice gesture on the part of YCS I think.

Yes, this is all about what is best for the kids of Allen Elementary, but today, as the streets in our Normal Park Neighborhood here in Ypsi became lined with cars of Ann Arbor's Allen Elementary parents for what I assume is an open house for the temporary Allen Elementary I can't help but wonder and speculate as to what is going on in the minds of our new Ann Arbor guests as they stroll through the Normal Park Neighborhood in route to  the former Ypsi Middle School. Are they thinking, "Oh, it's not so bad in Ypsilanti after all." I couldn't help myself recently from reading the dreaded reader comments from Ann Arbor residents commenting on the two articles about Allen Elementary's temporary move to Ypsilanti in the Ann Arbor News/Mlive. I try and try not to read comments in the A2 News on articles regarding Ypsilanti because so many times the comments are filled with ignorant and hateful remarks about Ypsilanti and residents. There I go again on the Ypsi/Ann Arbor thing!

Well, it has proven difficult to find out how long Allen will need to use the old Ypsilanti Middle School. Apparently the flood they had did a whole lot of damage. It could be weeks or months before Allen can move back to Allen.

In the end, forget all the Ypsi vs Ann Arbor junk. I'm glad Allen students and staff have a great school building here in Ypsi to use. And I bet a lot of Ann Arborites are going to be saying to each other, "Hey, Ypsilanti is a great town!" Lets just hope a bunch of gluten free green wheat grass infused doughnut shops don't start opening up around these parts!

Jeff Brown
Editor/Publisher
PWP
Allen Elementary temporary location in the old Ypsilanti Middle School. Photo Purple Walrus Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment