Wednesday, April 20, 2016

QUICK PICKS REVIEW OF MOVIE PRIDE By PWP Contributor Chai Montgomery.

Recently, I had the opportunity to see the film Pride, released in 2014. Pride chronicles a noble chapter in the gay liberation struggle, when working-class gay activists took up the cause of striking miners in Great Britain during the crushing rule of Margret Thatcher. 

Pride is a mainstream, bigish-budget flick, but focuses it's formulaic attention on the right action. I truly enjoyed it, found it both entertaining and edifying. And, best of all, cathartic. I especially loved the somber and poignant rendition of "Bread and Roses," sung by the miners in the union hall. After the show, I wikipediaed the song, got the amazing backstory to it, and memorized the lyrics (there are only four versas; or stanzas; or whatever).

Pride made me proud. It made me angry. It gave me hope. It is an inspiring flim that spotlights a tremendous moment of real solidarity in the workers' movement. 

Chai
Purple Walrus Press contributor

No comments:

Post a Comment